Thursday, October 15, 2009

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - she's my rock star.

The day was April 29, 2008.

It was the day Kaylee was born, but it was also the day I saw my mom in a whole new light.

She was there with me all day as I labored through contractions and walked up and down the halls in the labor and delivery unit.

With Dennis on one side and my mom on the other, I managed to endure about 8 hours of labor without my much-anticipated epidural.

When I was in the hospital bed and could tell I was about to get hit by a ginormous contraction, I'd close my eyes and just squeeze my mom's hand like there was no tomorrow. And it got me through, every time.

A lot of the details are fuzzy, but her and Dennis were like a tag team that day, taking turns rubbing my back and letting me squeeze their hands through the pain.

Dennis never left my side - he was rubbing my back pretty much the whole time.

But the face I remember seeing the most when I think back to that day is the face of my mom.

I remember her staying calm when I freaked out and I can still just picture her looking at me, and I could tell that if there was any way for her to take the pain from me, she would have. In a heartbeat.

I remember the look of excitement on her face when she first showed up at the hospital and I was still in the triage unit - it was like her face was telling me, "The day is finally here! We get to meet Kaylee - finally, and today I'll be a grandma! Woo hoo! Let's DO this thing!"

I'm so glad my mom was there with me that day. I needed her. I needed her right there beside me, holding my hand, reassuring me, and being there for me to lean on.

When all was said and done, and Kaylee had safely entered the world, that's when I realized my mom was more than just a mom.

I realized my mom is a rock star.

She managed to bring me into this world without any pain medication. I had my frickin' awesome epidural and didn't feel a thing once it kicked in. The contractions were unbearable at the end (hence, the epidural), but I don't even want to know what actually pushing the kid OUT would have felt like without drugs.

I realized that I put my mom through a heck of a lot the day I was born, and that was just the beginning.

She's always been there for me, through everything - stupid mistakes, stupid boys, zits, smart ass remarks, shopping for bras, leaving home for college, planning a wedding, getting married, being there for me the day Kaylee was born - and now - being there for me on my good and bad days as I do my best to be a rock star for my own daughter.

She's my mom, and she's my rock star, and I'm so, so lucky to have her.

Love you, mamacita. :)

8 comments:

Charlene said...

Your mom sounds wonderful!

Momma@Live. Laugh. Pull your hair out said...

LOve it! What a great tribute!

And my baby girl was born April 20, 2008!

Ally Wasmund said...

oh, this post was beautiful!! your mom sounds wonderful! :)

Jenners said...

Your mom sounds like a dream mom!! How awesome that she was there for you the whole time!!!

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mom!!!

~ Jennifer
http://thetoyboxyears.blogspot.com

Molly said...

Such a neat story! My mommy was with me in labor too, and I seriously thought her little hand was going to fall off from all the squeezing!

Connie said...

That is so cool! My mom and I aren't close and she wasn't the least bit interested in being by my side during the birth of my children. I know someday I'll be the Mom helping my daughter....

SEE YOU SOON!

Mom said...

I love you, too, Sera.
I'm so glad you asked me to hang out with you that day!

I now turn over my sweet rock star skills to you.

 
ss_blog_claim=e944dbd713f37d550ebdc4631fb44f56